Saturday 17 November 2012

Together again :-) (Zanzibar, Tanzania)

After conquering Mount Meru, the next leg of my adventure saw something of a change of scenery.....

Eight weeks since she'd left London for Cape Town, Rachel flew up to meet me in Dar es Salaam before we headed off for a romantic few days on Zanzibar, an island just off the coast of Tanzania, famous for its pristine beaches, spices, and being the birth place of a certain Freddie Mercury.

I'm not normally one for lounging around on the beach, but after my extertions on Mount Meru I could think of nothing better! There's not too much to write about therefore, but I thought I'd post a few photos, if only to make you all a little jealous (sorry!). We did get out on a dhow (local boat) to do some snorkelling and had a wander round the local village though so it wasn't all spent on a sun lounger!

We stayed in a fantastic little hotel on Jambiani beach on the east coast of the island, which I can thoroughly recommend if anyone's ever planning a romantic break to Zanzibar! Fantastic fresh sea food every night for dinner, amazing rooms and a brilliant location on the beach and run by a lovely Italian couple who made our stay there really special. 

I'm now back in Dar es Salaam, waiting to travel on to Zambia (the next blog post will explain more) for the next part of my trip, while Rachel is back in Cape Town, but it's only four weeks till our paths cross again when I make it to Cape Town as I now head overland towards South Africa through Zambia, Botswana and Namibia.

Together again on the boat to Zanzibar
 
taking a stroll along the beach
looking at the seaweed farming while the tide is out

a morning out on a dhow boat to do some snorkelling

on the dhow (aka beard watch day 9)

giving the captain some words of advice from my extensive sailing knowledge gained doing the RYA Level 2 Sailing course in Thamesmead in the mid 1990s.
the view from our hotel

sea view
a picture of concentration playing Bao (African board game)

1 comment: